How do I get treated?

In most cases, TMJ will resolve on its own even without treatment. If you have this condition, simple steps will address many of the discomforts you may feel. This includes:

  • Eating soft foods
  • Applying ice packs to the jaws
  • Avoiding jaw movements that might aggravate the symptoms like wide yawning, gum chewing, prolonged talking, yelling and singing
  • Stress-reduction techniques
  • Exercising jaw muscles
  • Massaging the jaws
  • Pain medicines

If you’re thinking of taking pain medications, you can try taking some over-the-counter drugs for a short period of time. This includes:

  • Acetaminophen (Tylenol®)
  • Ibuprofen (Advil®, Motrin®),
  • Naproxen (Aleve®, Naprosyn®)

In many cases, this may not be enough. You should ask your doctor or dentist about other drugs, including muscle relaxants, antidepressants and steroids.In situations where it might be helpful, your dentist may employ mouth guards or bite guards, also called splints or appliances.

For some, TMJ becomes a long-term problem.

Now you can kiss your overbite or underbite goodbye. Have an attractive smile that’s truly remarkable from an expert’s perspective. Call us in Wilbraham today at (413) 596-9657 or use our online Request an Appointment form. Our patients come to us from the Pioneer Valley (Hampden County, MA) towns of Hampden, Ludlow, Monson, Palmer, Springfield, Wilbraham and East Longmeadow, Massachusetts.